Concrete Coating Foremen, Lead Hand, and Skilled Labourers
Desco is currently hiring for labourers, lead hands, and foremen with experience in coating installation, surface preparation, and/or concrete installation. If you have experience in working with coating materials, using surface preparation tools, and/or experience with concrete you will be strongly considered for this position. Duties include:
- Install coating systems, including preparing a work site, the removal of existing finishes, mechanically preparing the surface(s), supplying and installing the coating system, cleaning the site, and returning materials and equipment to our facilities.
- Using mechanical preparation equipment, including shot blasters, jackhammers, and diamond abrasives (including lifting and moving upwards of 50 lbs on a frequent basis)
- Loading and unloading trucks (including lifting and moving upwards of 50 lbs on a frequent basis)
- Cleaning tools (vacuums, jackhammers, grinding equipment, etc.) and work site as required
- Being exposed to noise, dust, vibrations, and physically demanding work
- Wearing all required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and keeping it maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s directions
- Working with and around various chemicals (job specific WHMIS training provided as well as any required PPE apart from steel toed boots)
- A clean Class 5 license that is approved by our insurance company is required. This may limit applicants who do not have a Canadian drivers license.
- As per our insurance policy, the applicant will need to be 25 years of age or older in order to drive our vehicles.
- Collecting materials and equipment for projects
- Disposing of garbage
- Follow the company Health and Safety Manual, including the completion of safety documentation
- Act in a professional and respectful manner with clients, co-workers, other trades, and others
In order to limit the chance of injury, candidates must be able to safely complete the physical requirements of the position. Those candidates that successfully interview at the company will be required to pass a physical demands analysis, lifting and moving with 50 lbs.
At Desco, we work with and around large and potentially dangerous equipment. This position may not be appropriate if you are on medication or have a condition that could limit your ability to work in this environment in a safe manner.
If you have these skills, you can expect a competitive wage based on your past experience and work ethic. We are willing to negotiate a wage with you. Employees are paid on an hourly basis and will be hired as hourly employees of Desco, not private contractors. We will also provide a full health benefits package, a Group Retirement Savings Plan (after 6 months) where we match a portion of your pay and place it into a GRSP which you control, your choice of overtime or banked hours, custom coveralls (after 3 months), safety training and courses, safety equipment that is supplied to you at no charge (except for CSA approved steel toed boots), a safety boot reimbursement program, employee referral bonus, 10% vacation pay, and other perks. Most importantly, our goal is to ensure that you come home safe at the end of the day.
While most of our work (+90%) is in Edmonton and surrounding communities, we do have occasional work in cities and towns throughout Western Canada. If you are working out of town, you will be paid a per diem and your travel expenses paid for up front. Due to the nature of our services, we sometimes have work during evenings and weekends.
We appreciate the time taken to respond to our application and thank everyone for their interest in joining our team. However, due to the volume of applications received, only successful applicants will be contacted.